Posts for tag: restorative dentistry
Are you in need of a dental implant?
Dental implants are not just a restorative procedure that can beautify your smile, but it's vital for providing your jawbone with the necessary strength. Your dentist in Waterford, MI, Dr. Steve Rollins, is here to help and advise you!
What's a dental implant?
If you're suffering from tooth loss, it's vital to deal with this problem as soon as possible. Tooth loss can lead to the deterioration of your bones without the support it needs. If you decide to get a dental implant, here's what you need to know about the process:
- A local anesthetic is applied to the area that will undergo the procedure.
- Your dentist will place a titanium post into the jawbone. The titanium post acts as the new tooth root and is biocompatible, so there is no worry of tissue rejection.
- The doctor will then surgically close the area and allow it to heal for a period of 3 to 6 months, while the process of osseointegration takes its full course.
- When you return, your Waterford dentist will re-open the area, insert an abutment and place a crown over the abutment that matches the rest of your teeth.
What are the advantages of dental implants?
- Implants can have a high success rate, reaching 95 percent, compared to other dental restorations.
- They can last a lifetime if cared for properly.
- They don't slip out of place like dentures, which makes them comfortable and practical.
- They provide your jawbone with the support it needs so that it doesn't shrink.
- They are used to fill a single gap in your teeth, a few gaps, or all of your teeth.
- Dental implants look natural and can give you a beautiful smile.
- You won't have to worry about being able to bite into and chew your favorite foods.
If you have questions or concerns, Dr. Rollins can help you out. Call his office in Waterford, MI, at (248) 681-3600 to make an appoint today!
One of the best ways to cover up teeth that have undergone restorative procedures is using crowns. You dentist in Waterford, MI, Dr. Steve Rollins, is more than happy to tell you more about crowns and their benefits.
What are dental crowns:
Crowns look like caps and are made of porcelain. Your Waterford dentist takes an impression of your teeth and sends them to a lab where custom crowns are made just for you. In the meantime though, you're given a temporary crown.
So why get a dental crown anyway?
During restorative procedures, such as root canals, a significant amount of natural tooth is removed. This leaves the tooth exposed to decay and susceptible to breakage, which is why a dental crown is placed over the tooth. The dental crown reinforces the tooth and allows it to withstand various degrees of pressure, meaning you can enjoy eating without the worry of ruining your tooth.
Here are some other procedures that use dental crowns:
- Attaching bridges
- Covering dental implants
- Covering an existing filling that may be dislocated
- Covering stained or discolored teeth
How do I take care of my crowns?
- It goes without saying that you need to brush twice a day and floss before bed. It's important to remove plaque to reduce the chances of cavities forming and impacting the dental restoration.
- Your diet can contribute to your crowns lasting. Don't bite into ice and avoid sugary foods like soda and candy. Sugars contain the bacteria that produce plaque. So try eating healthy foods like apples and carrots that scrape the plaque off your teeth and incorporate more water into your diet.
- Bruxism, commonly known as teeth grinding, can reduce how long your crowns last as well. So make sure you find a solution for it with your dentist, like getting a mouth guard or splints.
For more information on dental crowns and what they can do for you, contact Dr. Steve Rollins in Waterford, MI, as soon as possible.