Posts for tag: dental crowns
One of the best ways to cover up teeth that have undergone restorative procedures is using crowns. You dentist in Waterford, MI, Dr. Steve Rollins, is more than happy to tell you more about crowns and their benefits.
What are dental crowns:
Crowns look like caps and are made of porcelain. Your Waterford dentist takes an impression of your teeth and sends them to a lab where custom crowns are made just for you. In the meantime though, you're given a temporary crown.
So why get a dental crown anyway?
During restorative procedures, such as root canals, a significant amount of natural tooth is removed. This leaves the tooth exposed to decay and susceptible to breakage, which is why a dental crown is placed over the tooth. The dental crown reinforces the tooth and allows it to withstand various degrees of pressure, meaning you can enjoy eating without the worry of ruining your tooth.
Here are some other procedures that use dental crowns:
- Attaching bridges
- Covering dental implants
- Covering an existing filling that may be dislocated
- Covering stained or discolored teeth
How do I take care of my crowns?
- It goes without saying that you need to brush twice a day and floss before bed. It's important to remove plaque to reduce the chances of cavities forming and impacting the dental restoration.
- Your diet can contribute to your crowns lasting. Don't bite into ice and avoid sugary foods like soda and candy. Sugars contain the bacteria that produce plaque. So try eating healthy foods like apples and carrots that scrape the plaque off your teeth and incorporate more water into your diet.
- Bruxism, commonly known as teeth grinding, can reduce how long your crowns last as well. So make sure you find a solution for it with your dentist, like getting a mouth guard or splints.
For more information on dental crowns and what they can do for you, contact Dr. Steve Rollins in Waterford, MI, as soon as possible.