Here at Summit Dental Group in Waterford, MI, your dentist, Dr. Steve Rollins, desires great smiles for all his patients. Accordingly, we inform everyone on how to optimize at-home oral health.
Great oral health takes work
Healthy smiles don't just happen—they take diligent care at home. Key to smile longevity proves to be these careful preventive practices:
- Brush your teeth two times a day for two minutes, as the American Dental Association (ADA) advises children through senior adults. Use a fluoride toothpaste and soft brush, both protect the integrity of your tooth enamel. Be sure to gently brush your gums, tongue, and the roof of your mouth, as well.
- Floss around all your teeth every day—before bedtime preferably. Flossing removes plaque and its dangerous bacteria.
- Eat a diet high in fiber, calcium, and low-fat protein. Drink water. Avoid processed sugars.
- Wear a mouth guard during any athletic activity.
- Wear a bite guard if you consistently grind/clench your teeth. This habit is called bruxism, and it damages your tooth enamel and dental bite, while also causing jaw joint problems.
- Look into your mouth to observe any changes in your tooth color or shape or in the texture of your soft tissues.
- Never ignore dental sensitivity or pain. Call Dr. Rollins immediately.
- Keep your dental appointments. We all need six-month hygienic cleanings and examinations to remove plaque and to detect problems early.
- Stop all tobacco usage. Smoking causes bad breath, oral cancer, and periodontal disease. Also, tobacco impairs the ability to heal after procedures, such as extractions and tooth replacement.
You only have one set of teeth and gums. Just like any valuable asset, your smile needs protection and care. Dr. Steve Rollins and his capable team Summit Dental Group at Waterford, MI, come alongside patients just like you, supporting dental habits and delivering innovative preventive, restorative, and cosmetic services in their office. Please call with any questions or pressing concerns: (248) 681-3600.